why eco shamba kilole lodge?
Eco Lodge is not for Everybody……
What They Say about us
"Have you ever heard somebody tell a story about a place they traveled 20 years ago before it was crowded.... and wondered what it would be like to experience one of those places yourself? Well, folks, here it is.
Mafia Island is beautiful and remote (but honestly not that difficult to get to)"
Eco Lodge is a choice for life
First Certified Ecolodge in Mafia Island Marine Park
Full Commitment to Low Impact and Local Community Development
Phyto remediation water treatment
Phytodepuration Plant for all the wasting of Shamba Kilole Eco Lodge
Our Delicious Meals are prepared with Local Products mainly coming from Mafia Island
- Organic agriculture is a holistic production management system which enhances agro-ecosystem health.
- Utilizing both traditional and scientific knowledge. Organic agricultural systems rely on ecosystem management rather than external agricultural inputs. Organic agriculture prohibits the use of synthetic chemicals and genetically modified organisms and builds on the management skills of the farmer and includes social standards.
- Organic agriculture is cheap and sustainable production method especially for East African farmers’ majority. Organic Farmers produce organic products without causing health or environment damage.
This is a Semi-Dry Phytodepuration Management System maintained with an endemic plant: using a reed (Phragmites Australis)
in Dry Phytodepuration Systems the filtration bed slope should be rather low at the exit of wastewater stream and the filter bed
- Semi-Dry Phytodepuration Management System maintained with an endemic plant: using a reed (Phragmites Australis).
- In Dry Phytodepuration Systems the filtration bed slope should be rather low at the exit of wastewater stream and the filter bed should not be too distant, allowing the plants roots to reach the wastewater.
- The basin bottom has to be totally impermeabilized. The basin banks have a little slope to facilitate maintenance operations and plants growth and to reduce erosion.
- Learning from previous experiences of similar initiatives (already experimented with the dry Phytodepuration system built by the Residential House); the result of the depuration is of 98%.